Tax Tips


Commonly Missed Items on Tax Returns

Minnesota K-12 Education Expenses: Minnesota allows a subtraction of up to $1,625 per child for K-6 school expenses and $2,500 per child for grades 7-12.

College Savings Plan: Minnesota allows up to a $3,000 deduction per family if you contribute to a 529 college savings plan. Someone other than the parent can take advantage of this deduction as well.

Non-Cash Donations: Since many organizations only give blank receipts when donations are dropped off, make a list of items before you donate them and attach the receipt to it.

Minnesota Charitable Donation Deduction: Even if you don't itemize on your federal return, MN allows you a deduction for charitable contributions > $500.

Property Tax Deduction-if you received a property tax refund for the prior year, be sure to subtract this from your current year deduction.

Roth Contributions: If your income is too high to contribute to a Roth IRA, consider contributing to a "nondeductible" IRA and then convert it to a Roth.  There is a special tax rule that allows this.

3701 Winnetka Avenue North, New Hope, Minnesota 55427 • PHONE: 763-244-1152 • FAX: 763-447-3668 • /  CPA Accounting Services for residents of the Twin Cities Metro Area of Minneapolis-St. Paul, Minnesota, and surrounding suburbs of New Hope, Crystal, Robbinsdale, Golden Valley, Minnetonka, Plymouth, St. Louis Park, Maple Grove, Wayzata and other areas / copyright © 2023 / all rights reserved Dane Tax Solutions - 021623